What do I do if I need to make any changes to my policy or eIA? Do I submit a request to the Insurance Company or Karvy Insurance Repository?

It is best to submit all requests in respect of either your eIA or any of your electronic policies to KINREP. If the changes are with respect to an account level detail (like address or phone number), KINREP will execute the change after the necessary KYC verification, if any. KINREP will then intimate the changes to all the Insurance Companies whose policies are held in that eIA, so that the changes are effected in all the policies, in one go (so there is no need for the policy holder to approach the various insurance companies individually for the changes).

In case of any changes at the policy level, KINREP will forward the request to the respective insurance company and ensure that the same is executed and reflected in the electronic policy held with KINREP.